Monday, January 14, 2008

What's to Eat?

Here is what I have been doing for the past three weeks.

Breakfast is anywhere from 5am to 9am. Breakfast is a drink that goes by many names. I've heard it called Green Lemonade, Glass of Fresh, Green Juice and the Drink-Made-by-Dr-Mehmet-Oz-on-the-Oprah-Show!

4 cups mix of Spinach and Romaine (some recipes use Kale, Parsley)
a few stalks of Celery (I actually don't like the flavor of Celery)
half a small lemon or 1/4 of a large one (some people use more)
half an apple (some people use more)
I've discovered that a tangerine tastes delicious
Sometimes a little ginger, but a little goes a long way
water to thin- my resulting mixture is 8 cups
(Ice makes it taste even better)

I rough chop the lettuce, and mince the other ingredients finely, leaving the skins on. I blend it up. I don't have a fancy blender but a stronger blender would improve this drink. Sometimes I have one glass, sometimes more. I drink less than half the mixture in a morning, and start with a fresh batch every other day. It tastes good, but I know you wont believe me if you don't try it for yourself.

I wait until noon for lunch, by which time I am hungry. Luckily as I am not on heavy drugs, my blood sugar has not plummeted.

Lunch is a salad. I eat greens and raw vegetables, and a vinaigrette. I often eat sprouted and dehydrated sunflower seeds. If it's all greens, I add some almonds or walnuts .

I've noticed that my energy slumps a little at four. Usually I have a small coffee with a large splash of unsweetened almond milk. Since we have family dinner at five thirty, I don't want to eat anything that will raise my blood sugar. But I need to keep my sugar from dipping. It's a question mark. Today I had a cup of the grain beverage Pero, and didn't test my sugars afterwards. On other days I've eaten a half an avocado or a quarter cup of olives. Again, I really should wait two hours and test to see what is happening there.

Dinner- to give this program a fair shot- I will start putting some effort into making half-way palatable dinners. So far the easiest thing is more salad with nuts, or a piece of fruit with nuts. We've also been eating some dishes I learned from Karen Knowlers' YouTube Videos- Avocado Massaged Kale, Stuffed Nori Rolls, Marinated Mushrooms, Chopped Raw Almonds with Blueberries and Almond Milk. I usually serve some cooked food and let everyone take what they want. (Guests love to try out the raw offering.)