Monday, January 14, 2008

Food as Medicine

In the past year, a friend of mine used the Berenstein Principal to control her diabetes. http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com

This opened up my mind to a new way of thinking about diabetes. I realized that after many years of having diabetes and doing what the doctors told me, my health could be even better if I knew more.

You may never have heard of the marvelous book The Berenstein Principal by Dr. Richard Berenstein. It is an absolute must-read for anyone who wants to live a healthy life with diabetes. It is filled with clear explanations of the science of managing your blood sugars.

Dr Berenstein was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes over fifty years ago- but he refused to accept ill-health. He used an early blood glucometer to test the effects of various meals on his blood sugar. He realized that eating a diet very low in carbohydrate controlled his blood sugars. When many in the medical establishment closed their minds to his findings, he became a medical doctor himself so that he could speak at medical conventions. He's still practicing medicine, showing people that it is possible to take charge of their diabetes.

I want to make it perfectly clear that although I think everyone with diabetes needs to know about Dr Richard Berenstein, I have never met him. Certainly, he has never heard of me. In no way do I wish to give the impression otherwise.

Well- the book taught me a lot and the diet worked for me in that it controlled my blood sugars. It didn't work for me long-term because I am gravitating towards a cruelty-free style of eating. I wondered, can blood sugars be controlled through vegan eating?