Friday, January 18, 2008

Ellen G White

When I was a child, my mother had a copy of Counsel on Diet and Foods by Ellen G White. She is one of the founders of the Seventh Day Adventist Church. The book was red leather, embossed, and the lettering was gold. To a six year old, this book was obviously important. It has been more than three decades since I read it.

The fact that I remember reading the book, and think I remember its' message shows what an impression the book made on me. I would like to pick up a copy at the library to check and see if my memories are true.

Let me start with this disclaimer. Recently I did a search on Ms. White and came across several sites calling her a false prophet- and a plagiarist. . An article on her in Wikipedia, quoting AdventistArchives.org, has this to say about those who wish to discredit her by calling her a plagiarist: "Adventists assert that it became increasingly normative to cite sources during her lifetime, and that Ellen G. White subsequently revised her books, changed passages to include quotations from authoritative writers, and at times deleted passages when an author could not be found."

Ms. White was a vegetarian and an advocate of not combining too many types of foods at one meal. She believed it was taxing for the digestive system. She thought most people should eshew milk and eggs. She suggested a breakfast of porridge, a midday meal of vegetables, and a supper of bread and vegetables.

Obviously, one has to consider that reading the book at such a young age impressed my subconscious in a way that has made my new eating habits easier for me. Adventists have strayed from Ms. White's teachings on the subject of diet.