Thursday, August 14, 2008

Yes, it's that Propaganda

When people want to know why I am opposed to the majority of meat eating, I show them this:

http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

I've been hearing that there are producers that are more humane. That gets into- how humane is it to eat another sentient being? But- O.K. I don't have so much of a problem with that. But current factory conditions... Most of us have this fantasy cultivated in childhood (I cultivate it in my own children, even now) that the pigs and cows live happily on farms with benevolent farmers looking after them. (This is their idea, I imagine, as they move their little wooden animals around in the recycled pink plastic barn.)

I'm guessing this "humane meat" is that stuff that sells at Whole Paycheck for $400 a pound. Well- if people did buy that meat and then use it to "flavor" stir-frys and salads- then it would probably be a huge step forward for health and sanity. But- I honestly just don't have much of a taste for it.